Tag Archives: Rachel Nichols
Published April 21, 2013 on Vancouver is Awesome
A year ago, Fan Expo Vancouver hosted the first panel for Vancouver-cop-from-the-future series Continuum. And what a year it’s been. Continuum debuted on Showcase as an out-of-the-box hit. Almost one million Canadians watched, making it 2012′s number one cable drama here. Since sold to more than fifty countries around the world. Canadian Screen Award, Writers Guild Canada and Saturn Award nominations racked up. A debut in January on Syfy in the U.S. which led to rave reviews from The New York Times and Entertainment Weekly TV critics. A second Continuum panel at Fan Expo Vancouver yesterday. And the premiere of a second season tonight on Showcase at 6 p.m. PT/9 p.m. ET. No wonder the cast and creator got giddy yesterday in Ballroom A at Canada Place.
Continuum is part sci fi, part police procedural about a future police officer Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols) who travels back in time from Vancouver in the year 2077 to Vancouver today, swept up in an escape by a group of terrorists — Liber8 — who plan to change the future from the past by targeting the corporations that will come to rule the world. Cameron ends up being partnered with Vancouver police detective Carlos Fonnegra (Victor Webster) and tasked with bringing down Liber8, with the unexpected help of teen tech genius Alec Sandler (Erik Knudsen), a boy who will grow up to become the head of mega-corp SadTech and seemingly the man responsible for sending Kiera and Liber8 back in time in the first place.
Continuum staged a big protest scene in Gastown’s Blood Alley today with Vancouver-cop-from-the-future Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols) shoved around in a crowd as hundreds of protester extras battled police extras in full riot gear. In one scene, Kiera ran out of the melee in her black high-tech cat suit, boots and a sky-blue jacket. But this was a rare sighting. Most of the time you couldn’t see her in the throng of up to 250 background performers.
Luckily, there’s another chance to see her at the Continuum panel at Fan Expo Vancouver this Saturday, April 20th, at Canada Place. Cast Rachel Nichols, Victor Webster, Erik Knudsen, Lexa Doig, Luvia Petersen, Stephen Lobo, Jennifer Spence and Omari Newton are scheduled to be there at noon in Ballroom A. And fans are promised a sneak peek of season two, which premieres this Sunday, April 21st, at 9 p.m. on Showcase in Canada.
Corrupt Vancouver politician Jim Martin (Tahmoh Penikett) returns to Continuum in the second season. We met him in the seventh episode, The Politics of Time, when Liber8 killed the investigative reporter Alicia Fuentes (Pascale Hutton) looking into the financing of Martin’s campaign to be head of the local dock workers union. Detective Carlos Fonnegra (Victor Webster) investigates Alicia’s murder without telling his Vancouver-police-partner-from-the-future Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols) that the murder victim is the woman he slept with the night before, making him the prime suspect and testing Kiera’s loyalty. It proved to be a tangled web of old friendships gone wrong so it’s no wonder that Carlos isn’t friendly with Jim Martin when they meet on the north steps of the Vancouver Art Gallery this season.
Continuum filmed for three days outside and inside the Vancouver Art Gallery last week, mainly in an old courtroom at the south end. Could this be the trial of young Liber8 apprentice Julian Randol (Richard Harmann)?
Good friends Tahmoh Penikett and Victor Webster between takes.
Spectators watch the action.
- Sunday, March 17th – Red Widow 1×04 The Escape with Radha Mitchell, Goran Visnjic and Wil Traval.
- Sunday, March 17th – Welcome to Storybrooke circa 1983 on Once Upon a Time 2×17. Except if you’re an outsider. Then not so welcome. And you might end up the target of a high-speed chase by Sheriff Graham (Jamie Dornan) & Regina (Lana Parrilla).
- Sunday, March 17th – News of Rainn Wilson (The Office) cast as lead in Hart Hanson’s CBS pilot Backstrom.
- Friday, March 15th – Once Upon a Time films Jennifer Morrison & Michael Raymond-James on Third Beach in Stanley Park for 2×21
- Friday, March 15th – Arrow films flashback scenes with Stephen Amell & Katie Cassidy & Oliver’s parents at Harbour Cruises in Coal Harbour for 1×21.
- Friday, March 15th – The Killing films in Langley.
- Friday, March 15th – CBS pilot Intelligence starts filming at Deer Lake Park in Burnaby. Josh Holloway not on set.
- Friday, March 15th – Cult 1×04 with Matt Davis on The CW.
- Thursday, March 14th – Vancouver played Toronto for Motive 1×06 Detour with scenes filmed at the Victorian Hotel as a Toronto apartment building and Belkin House as a Toronto police station.
- Thursday, March 14th – Continuum‘s Eric Knudsen & Ian Tracey film at Catch-122 restaurant on West Hastings downtown.
- Thursday, March 14th – CW pilot The 100 w/ Thomas McDonell as one of 100 juvenile delinquents sent back to Earth after nuclear war starts filming on its Langley set.
- Thursday, March 14th – Supernatural films in Riverview in Coquitlam.
- Thursday, March 14th – News that Arrow‘s Stephen Amell, Colin Donnell, Willa Holland, Paul Blackthorne & showrunners, & Falling Skies‘s Drew Roy, Sarah Carter, Seychelle Gabriel & showrunner Remi Aubuchon will be at WonderCon in Anaheim in late March. Schedule.
- Thursday, March 14th – News that Amanda Tapping of Sanctuary, Stargate SG1 will direct second season’s 12th episode of Continuum.
- Wednesday. March 13th – Psych‘s Big Foot episode directed by star James Roday airs on the USA Network.
- Wednesday, March 13th – FOX pilot Human starts filming inside empty bank building on West Pender downtown. Karl Urban on set. Productions signs BELLY pay tribute to Fringe.
- Wednesday, March 13th – Continuum films in Woodward’s Building downtown.
- Wednesday, March 13th - Once Upon a Time films scenes at the Steveston Cannery and on Moncton St. with Jennifer Morrison, Michael Raymond-James, Robert Carlyle, Emilie de Ravin and David Anders (on his knees as he tweeted).
- Wednesday, March 13th – Constellation Award nominations for Continuum, Fringe, Once Upon a Time, Primeval: New World, Supernatural, Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles,
Update May 5, 2013 – Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols) finds her younger sister in this future shanty town for the “emancipated” taking drug Retrievatrol.
One night after winning a Canadian Screen Award for Continuum VFX, Adam Stern of Artifex tweeted he was back on set last night in rainy Vancouver. I can’t wait to see what he does with this “Shanty Town” set constructed on top of a Gastown parkade. It already has the look of a Lantern Tent City you might find at Vancouver LunarFest.
On Wednesday, the Vancouver Lookout atop Harbour Centre spotted the crew at work from above. It must have taken them a few days to get this set ready for filming on Friday night.
- Sunday, February 24th – New promo for Once Upon a Time airs during Oscars broadcast. A Series as Epic as the Movies Every Single Week.
- Sunday, February 24th – Red Widow black-and-white promo airs during Oscars broadcast.
- Friday, February 22nd – Vancouver crime drama Motive with Kristin Lehman & Louis Ferreira wraps filming its first season. Photographed 2 of The Killers so far without knowing.
- Friday, February 22nd – Feature film Dawn of the Planet of the Apes starring Andy Serkis as Caesar and Jason Clarke confirmed to film from April 2nd to 26th says new BC Production List.
- Friday, February 22nd – Feature film Hector and the Search for Happiness starring Simon Pegg as psychiatrist Hector confirmed to film from March 30th to April 20th says latest BC Production List.
- Friday, February 22nd – TV Pilots Intelligence (ABC) starring Lost’s Josh Holloway as US Cyber Command officer who has a microchip implanted in his brain and I am Victor (NBC) starring John Stamos as a House-like divorce attorney confirmed to film here in March says new BC Production List
- Friday, February 22nd – TV series Witches of East End (Lifetime) with Julia Ormond, Rachel Boston, and Jenna Dewan-Tatum as witches confirmed to film from April 3rd to August 6th says latest BC Production List.
- Friday, February 22nd - Arrow films 1×19 at abandoned mental institution Riverview Hospital in Coquitlam.
- Thursday, February 21st – Supernatural films at the Cleveland Dam in North Vancouver
- Thursday, February 21st – Level Up liquidation sale at North Shore Studios.
- Thursday, February 21st – SPACE channel opts not to renew Vancouver’s own dinosaur procedural Primeval: New World for second season. Show in talks with other international broadcasters.
- Wednseday, February 20th – Supernatural airs 1×15 Man’s Best Friend with Benefits about a cop witch filmed mainly in Century House downtown and Victory Square
- Wednesday, February 20th – Arrow airs 1×15 Dodger with BSG guest star James Callis and Teen Wolf’s Colton Haynes as Roy Harper.
- Wednesday, February 20th – Once Upon a Time‘s Ginnifer Goodwin presents at Costume Designers Guild Awards.
- Wednesday, February 20th – Arrow films stunts in Gastown for 1×18 with star Stephen Amell running straight at me.
- Wednesday, February 20th – Is Fringe headed for a three-peat at the Saturn Awards? Nominations for Fringe and cast, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, The Killing, Falling Skies, Arrow and Vancouver’s own Continuum.
- Wednesday, February 20th – Vancouver’s teen sitcom Mr. Young with Brendan Meyer, Matreya Fedor and Gig Morton, resumes filming season three